Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Trip to the Detroit Institute of Arts

Yesterday Alex and I went to the Detroit Institute of Arts. Thanks to a millage that was passed in the country we're from it was free admission, so it was a really cheap way to spend the afternoon. Honestly neither of us are that into art, we appreciate it but we don't always get it. I have a tendency to act like a child and laugh at the naked statues, and Alex critiques the modern art saying that he could make it himself (and being that is he isn't really artistic this is supposed to be an insult). But despite our childish behavior we did enjoy a nice cheap date together.

Alex being super serious looking at some stained glass

Me being a lot less serious and taking selfies in the mirrors behind ancient pots :)

I was oddly drawn to all of the pottery and stone work more than the paintings. I love the blue and white together.

Detroit

I love the colors in this picture, Alex thinks he can make it himself...I'd really love to test that little theory of his

This really creeps me out, but it reminded me of my favorite book Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, when Melinda glues the chicken bones to her paper and her teacher loves it.

3 comments:

  1. You're so right about that last one reminding you of Speak! If you have read The Fault in Our Stars, it reminds me of a statue mentioned in that book called Funky Bones, haha. It is creepy, though!

    xo, Taylor
    taylor-knittel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read The Fault in Our Stars, it's on my summer reading list though!

      Delete
  2. This looks like such a perfect little date. My boyfriend and I had our first real date at the Seattle Art Museum, and it is one of my favorite dates we've ever been on together. Also I must have read the book Speak at least five times...although it has been soo long that I barely remember the story at all, I guess that means its time to read it again?
    xxoo,
    Jordyn

    ReplyDelete

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin